The Rook - Daniel O'Malley.

I personally think that this book is extraordinary; I was recommended this story from a dear friend and she even gave me the opportunity to read the first page and I can tell you with honesty, the opening line in this book is beyond captivating. It’s perfect and it’s memorable.
‘The body you are wearing used to be mine.’’

That recommendation was made over a year ago and since then, it has remained on my book list until now and I can say that I’m rather glad I finally knuckled down and read this book.

When first opening the book, you come across the main protagonist, Myfanwy Thomas whom then informs you that she has absolutely no clue to why she is where she is, her memory has been stolen, the new body she wears isn’t her own and she is found in the middle of the park, surrounded by lots of corpses. (Not to mention all of them are strangely wearing latex gloves.)
Lovely and wonderfully confusing, right?

First things first, if that doesn’t captivate you then you’re completely lying, because there should be at least an ounce of interest and wonder in you, because come on, the first thing you should see when you come around is the inside of your bed, not ounces of nature and half a dozen dead bodies…

With this at hand, I easily turned page after page and I find it almost exhilarating to go along with this story because you witness the fright that Myfanwy is going through; every thing is brand new, she does not know anything, she isn’t certain of why her hands feel like hers but don’t, and not to mention, the only thing informing her of something is the letter inside her pocket.
‘Some one wants to kill but sorry, I haven’t the slightest clue who it is; I’ll help you with every thing else, but you’re on your own with that one.’

I’m not sure how to put it quite accurately, so if I falter then hopefully you’ll go past that but there is an obvious lack of knowledge, however this is sort of transformed into a small journey to which Myfanwy takes us on (along with herself), and there is a sense of ‘were all in this together’ so to speak, when we go through the day to day routine.

Myfanwy comes across continues notes, all from her previous self and it is mentioned that the lack of memory loss was expected, as we are soon informed that Thomas comes across many people who inform her of the future event. With this in mind, Thomas’s previous self prepares her future self if she does need to endure the process.
The new Myfanwy is informed about where her home would be, where her work is, what her occupation is, not to mention a folder is created with every tiny little detail she may need to know.
How handy right?

It may appear like a doddle, but of course there are consequences along with this, like the fact Thomas has a meeting with Gestalt, but he is not aware of her memory loss and apparently they have quite the companionship, which puts her under pressure considering she is clueless to how her previous self used to act. Not only does she have to appear knowledgeable to those around her, she has to be aware that she maybe having a meeting with the person who is attempting to kill her.
What a hoot.

This book is written as if you yourself are enduring the entire process and it gives you an entirely different feel for the book, one of which I haven’t experienced before.
Once or twice I did think ‘why hasn’t some one done this before? Or have they?’ I’m sure that I have read the odd book here and there which has given of the same impression, but no author has done it to this extent.
I guess what makes this story line different is the fact O’Malley makes this very personal and doesn’t back down when it comes to realistic thoughts.

Now I should behave and not reveal anything further about the story or I’ll feel as if I’ve completely spoilt it all for you.
It’s probably obvious that I’ve enjoyed this book to quite an extent, although I’m not entirely sure if it has made it’s way onto my favourite books of this year; I don’t know why but I’m being incredibly fickle with it, which if I’m being honest, is rather aggravating me.
This book isn’t easy to ignore in the slightest and I know for sure I won’t ever forget it.
Too many feelings and thoughts.

Bollocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment