The best perspective change I've ever had.

It goes without saying that a lot of us have a specific period in our lives where were sort of put through an event which changes the way we think about everything.

The one that I had, I would like to share with people - I received that 'period' at the age of 14. 
At the age of 14, my Dad was diagnosed with Leukaemia which in itself hurt like hell but then along with this, my Mum fell ill as well. At this time, my parents had luckily made a will and we had to find out and learn where things would go so that we knew. 
During this battle, we sort of hit a huge bump in the road and we were told my Dad was dying and so was my Mum. Baring in mind at this point, both my parents were already relying on my brother and Me to get around.

It was a shock of course and the biggest question from people was 'How do you feel?' or 'How are you coping?' and the truth is, you don't really think about it because there isn't any time.
Yes it sounds awful, it really does. But there are much bigger priorities to sit through and deal with.

I had to begin to think and work as if I was going to loose my parents - by then I was already relying on my brother which is why we share such a strong relationship as it is. 

Already I was anticipating the idea of scrapping college and just going straight for a job because I was too bothered about being able to feed me and my brother, keeping the house going etc.

When you're threatened with the idea that you might loose everything, you use everything in your power to do what you can, to keep what you have.

You don't cry, you don't whimper, you don't talk about suicide. You battle it and just go on. 
It was only when we were hit with a miracle and our parents survived that the horrible thoughts set in. 

After the miracle, my parents just hit us with apologies and sort of got lost in tears because of what happened.

It was awful, but it was possibly the best and worst experience I've ever lived through.

No comments:

Post a Comment