The Kindle - 'It takes away the beauty of reading.'

I'm going to be honest, since the release of The Kindle, there has been a number of quarrels regarding the idea that the true art of reading has been taken away.

One aspect for this situation that I can fight for is that there is nothing better then the :feel, smell and texture of a book in your hands when you spend hours reading.

I will be entirely honest, the idea of a kindle never bothered me; this new found  technology didn't cause any anger because the only care I had, was having the power to read and if this new invention provided it, then I was settled.

How ever, not long ago I was put into a situation where I had to consider a new way of learning. About three years ago, I was sadly rushed into the hospital and resuscitated due to a brain disease and one of the permanent consequences, was dyslexia.

I will be honest for the longest time, we were unaware of this problem, so initially I was left blind about the situation. I was deeply upset because as you may have figured out, I'm a book worm and to be prevented from enjoying something which I had done for so long, unsettled me.

Then along came The Kindle.
A year after a diagnosis and a year after said event, I was fortunately given the e-reader and was informed that this would hopefully improve my reading.

And it did.
After receiving it, the first book series I read on this piece of technology was The Hunger Games and in 2 days, I had finished all three books.

As you can tell now, I can (so-to-speak) bat for 'both teams'. I sincerely miss the idea of walking into a book shop, sitting down on the floor and scouring each book individually. How ever as you have previously read, I can not physically do that any longer.

As much as some see the idea of development wiping away traditional methods, it is also breath taking to see brand new things which make others capable of doing things, they haven't been able to previously do.

There is nothing wrong with a book and there is nothing wrong with a kindle. 
Do not fight against those who do not have the physical power to change something which has been embedded into their system. Their is intelligence and their is greatness within every body, don't take it away from them, give it to them.

R x

No comments:

Post a Comment