The Art Of Being Normal - Lisa Williamson

Before I really get down to business on this book, I should mention that whilst not every book is for every one, I could see this book causing a little discomfort considering not all minds are open.

In all the years I have been reading, I have never come across a book such as this and now that I’ve completed the novel, I’m beginning to wonder why most authors haven’t done the same; I stumbled upon this book merely by accident, and straight away the brief summary snapped up my attention:

‘David Piper has always been an outsider. His parents think he’s gay. The school bully thinks he’s a freak. Only his two best friends know the real truth – David wants to be a girl.’

Three sentences was seemingly all it took, because days later I found myself reading it at a great speed.

At the beginning of the story, we approach David currently measuring and observing his physical features, to then note them down in a book. His response is fear because deep in his mind, he doesn’t want a large penis and he doesn’t want to be incredibly tall. He wants to be a girl.

Then throughout the story, we are introduced to another character called Leo Denton, who only has one aim, to remain invisible, however one unlikely act ends bringing the two together.

I think what is so wonderfully powerful about this book is that the main protagonist is a transgender character and the story isn’t portrayed in a way of it being an ‘issue’.
David is completely normal, and he like every one else is trying to find his identity, trying to make friends and deal with his family.

Williamson also discusses social diversity, class, family units and stigma and I find she does it beautifully; from beginning to end I was completely enthralled with the story and physically couldn’t put it down. It was such an eye opener for me and if I can I will happily thrust this book into any one’s hand whilst I can.

There’s such a perfect balance of: Love, acceptance, sadness, humour and adventure, which made it all utterly heart warming, as well as heart wrenching.

This book has most definitely fallen onto my list of favourite books and I feel that although my book review maybe sketchy and may not inform you greatly, I find it simply to be one of those books which just cause your emotions to bundle up and spew out of your mouth.

‘It’s brilliant, it’s eye opening, it’s touching, it’s just brilliant! Read it!’


^ That is my round up of this review because frankly, none of my thoughts are even slightly coherent.

No comments:

Post a Comment