Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green.

 I’m not entirely certain what is about John Green, but I feel inside me that my mind has not yet dealt with enough to fully establish and announce my opinion of whether I enjoy Green as an author.
I personally find this quite pathetic because the truth is I have read Looking For Alaska, The Fault in Our Stars, Will Grayson Will Grayson (And now Paper Towns currently.) And apart from The Fault In Our Stars, (Due to personal reasons.) I read all the other books with great ease and found the characters to be quite captivating.

Reading this book has triggered something in my mind and that is Will Grayson stands out very much like a sore thumb and this maybe due to the fact Green collided with another author, David Levithan.
It was only after reading Paper Towns yesterday evening that I realized Green is very repetitive regarding his writing structure and I managed to find similarities between Paper Towns and Looking For Alaska.

Any way, back onto Will Grayson, Will Grayson.
Despite my weirdness in trying to collect my thoughts about Green, I find his writing very simple and smooth, not to mention I have no trouble reading anything he writes and instantaneously, I’m fed imagery.
Originally when deciding to read the book, I merely picked it due to enjoying Looking For Alaska and I hadn’t even thought to look at the blurb, and after having the opportunity to do so when I finished the book, I find the description almost… ghastly.

When collecting my first thoughts when reading this book, I found Will#2 to be similar to Holden (Catcher In The Rye.) I don’t in any way mean this is an exact match, but I found Will to be a very honest, open and immediately unstable.
However Will#1, I found to be sarcastic, bland and intellectual; not to mention, he seems very careless towards living his life.

Secondly, Will#1 collides with a character named Tiny who is openly gay and just so happens to be the exact opposite of Will, which at times I thought would create masses of controversy between the two characters. Tiny’s offensive and blunt ways had a tendency to irk me, which made me feel less enjoyment when it came to both of them conversing.

If I even attempted to type out a small blurb about the story, I think I would fail rather dramatically; the plot turns out to be quite intriguing but it is most definitely something I would call obscure, yet delightfully refreshing.
The basic’s are, at first there is documentation regarding Will Grayson’s life until the moment he travels to Chicago and meets another Will Grayson and to be honest, from there on, it gets rather difficult to decipher.

I cannot truthfully tell you how many times I had gotten part way through a chapter and realized this was in fact to do with the Will Grayson I was introduced to at the beginning of the book, not the one I stumbled upon partly way through.
Yet I had to remind myself, the Tiny he referred to was not his close friend but in fact, the man he also met on the bench next to Will Grayson.

“Is that the Tiny I liked? No it isn’t!’
‘But this one is, yes ok!’

At some points, it got so ridiculously mind boggling for me, I laughed aloud and manically face palmed myself for being a little misunderstood.

I found the book to be incredibly raw, captivating, aggravating, and pleasing yet not, over exaggerating. (Unless you count every spoken word of Tiny Cooper, then by all means, deem the book a little cringe worthy.)

I however notice the odd flaws here and there, (which every book does have) but I shall say first, Will Grayson isn’t initially a book you can connect with because the aim of the story isn’t to let you become empathic with the characters.
Not only that but many have expressed the title should refer to Tiny as the main story line consists of Tiny, yet he is referred to as a secondary character, which makes you rethink your overall opinion about the books meaning.

I think that the over all, the conclusion within a large range of people is different because of peoples personal perceptions, which is sort of obvious considering were all individuals but the content within this book is what sets us all apart, not our thoughts.
I see this book as being one of those books which sort of stay’s in the middle of the two circles which are identified as good and bad, because personally I don’t see a lot of people enjoying this book, but I also do.

I wouldn’t throw it forward as a recommendation without knowing a person most definitely, but for me, I found it to be rather brilliant.





No comments:

Post a Comment